Saturday, August 27, 2011

THE BIGGEST ADVENTURE OF ALL

The other day I was texting Maureen Gray, who was our country mom on our trip to Cambodia. She was telling me how much she enjoyed getting to know all of us while in Cambodia. But then she said something that stood out-she said she prays for all of us everyday. I was talking to one of my friends about this, and we wondered what it would be like to pray everyday for every person we ever met. That would be crazy, but think how different the world would be.


God has always placed prayer on my heart. Probably because I’m not very good at it. Maybe the simplicity of it is what is so complex to me. Whatever it is, I know I need to do more of it. A lot more of it. And as I am beginning the second year of my missions internship, I have been asking myself and God what I need to be asking Him for this year.

I have many answers for that question, but rather than going through the long list I just wanted to share my new revelation: prayer is an adventure. God has given us an exciting life (and at times exhausting), yet He wants to do it with us! It’s not just “I want to meet the man of my dreams,” but it’s “God prepare our hearts now. Shape me into the woman I need to be to fall in love with the man of my dreams. Take away my selfish desires so when I’m 50 I’ll still be giddy about holding his hand.” It’s not just, “I want to be happy with my future job,” but it’s “God continue to open my eyes to the creative nature you’ve placed inside of me. Give me ideas to make something out of nothing. Give me passions and desires that I will want to devote the rest of my life to.”

Prayer means giving God full reign to shape you into the person that you need to become to live out your adventure. I am living an adventure now, and more adventure awaits me. And I know I must rely on God and the beauty of His grace to shape me into the woman who dares to follow the life of adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment